How to Apply for Section 8 in Oklahoma


To register for Section 8 housing programs in Oklahoma, applicants can visit the community’s local Public Housing Authority (PHA) office or simply contact the local PHA office for further instructions. On Native American reservations in Oklahoma, a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Section 8 application should be completed through a Southern Plains Office of Native American Programs (SPONAP). This office works specifically with Native American tribes for housing and several other related community needs. SPONAP will assist Native Americans with any registration or application forms required beyond HUD Section 8 documentation. More information about how to sign up for Section 8 in Oklahoma will be offered in the following topics:

  • Learn how to apply for Section 8 housing in Oklahoma
  • How to register for Section 8 housing programs in Oklahoma
  • How to check status for Section 8 applications in Oklahoma

Learn How to Apply for Section 8 Housing in Oklahoma

Learning how to sign up for Section 8 in Oklahoma begins with contacting the community PHA office. The Oklahoma state office through which HUD works is the Oklahoma Housing Finance Agency (OHFA). This agency provides vouchers to assist beneficiaries with paying rent on a place to live that meets Housing Quality Standards. In Oklahoma, the HUD Section 8 application used for the Housing Choice Voucher Program may also be referred to as a “Rental Assistance application” or a “Section 8 application.” Please note that OHFA does not apply in the cities of Norman, Shawnee, or Stillwater. To register for Section 8 housing programs in OK, each applicant is urged to go through their own community offices.

To register for Section 8 housing programs on tribal lands, the applicant should contact the Southern Plains Office of Native American Programs (SPONAP). The initial pre- HUD Section 8 application registration will save the petitioner time in finding if they meet basic qualifications before completing the HUD application forms. Direct assistance with HUD Section 8 application registration will simplify the process and help get the applicant on the waiting list as soon as possible.

HUD Section 8 applications in Oklahoma include eligibility requirements for family income. The maximum family income level for the HUD Section 8 application can be no more than 80 percent of the median income in the county. If a family’s income is 50 percent or less of the median income for the county, then the applicant’s family will be considered “very low income” and placed higher on the low income housing waiting list.

The Oklahoma HUD Section 8 application will also require information on household details. The petitioner will be asked how many members are in the family, how many members are under 18 and whether any members are elderly or have disabilities. Individuals filing the OK HUD Section 8 application must also be U.S. citizens, although others in the family are not necessarily required to be citizens. Those not eligible to file the HUD Section 8 application include those visiting the U.S. on a visa, registered sexual offenders or felons convicted of the manufacture or distribution of illegal substances. The HUD Section 8 application in Oklahoma has a few other guidelines, including:

  • No one in the applying household is allowed to own any property
  • Applicants must be age 18 or older, unless an emancipated minor
  • Applicants cannot have a negative background check

How to Register for Section 8 Housing Programs in Oklahoma

Housing authorities in most county offices will ask for several kinds of documentation for verification of the application form. The most common types of documentation the HUD Section 8 application will ask for include personal identification for all in the household, Social Security cards for all in the household, income verification paperwork and rental history references.

For Oklahoma HUD Section 8 applications, OHFA strongly encourages petitioners to file online for faster service. After determining eligibility at the local OHFA office, that office can direct the applicant to online and paper (mail) application processes. For ease of use and service, most opt for the Oklahoma online application for low income housing, which allows residents to complete the application online, attach documentation and easily submit the completed application. The OK online application for low income housing will not be available if the waiting list is closed to new petitioners. Applicants can check back periodically or contact the local OHFA office to see if the waiting list has been re-opened or if new funding has been made available.

How to Check Status for Section 8 Applications in Oklahoma

If the Oklahoma HUD Section 8 application has been filed online, but there was not an immediate confirmation, then the application was not received and it should be submitted again. A paper HUD Section 8 application can be mailed to the central OHFA office in Oklahoma City. If a confirmation letter is not received in reply after 21 business days have passed, then applicants can call the central office for verification. If there is no record of the HUD Section 8 application, it means the application was not received. Please note that when going to check status for section 8 applications in OK, the candidate’s Social Security number will be required for verification.

What is Section 8?

The Section 8 program was created by the federal government to assist low-income individuals and families with finding affordable private housing. To learn how you can become a member of this assistance program, download our helpful guide today. Beneficiaries of the program have a percentage of their rent covered by the government via housing subsidies, which are administered on a local level by public housing agencies or PHAs directly to landlords. Section 8 members are allowed to choose apartments, townhouses or even modest homes in this program, but the landlord must accept government subsidies in order for the provided housing vouchers to be used. Learn more about how you can qualify for housing assistance and discover the steps to file an application by clicking here.

How much will my housing subsidy be?

As a Section 8 beneficiary, you will pay the difference between your landlord’s rent amount and how much your housing subsidy covers. To find out how you can get a housing subsidy, download our guide now. If you are accepted into the Section 8 program, your public housing agency will calculate the maximum assistance you can receive. Your maximum housing assistance will either be the total rent of your apartment/home minus 30 percent of your adjusted monthly income or it will be the payment standard less 30 percent of your adjusted monthly income, whichever amount is lower. To find out how Section 8 can benefit you today, click here.